BlackBerry Passport


BlackBerry Passport

Are you a BlackBerry Passport? You'll probably know at first glance, because it is the most divisive phone I've seen in years. Passport is the premier business phone messaging, and it cast among other frivolities. Yes, you can have some fun, but not too much, because that's what we're here for.

Passport took me around for a week and guys (yes, all guys) kept trying to take it from me. One is a TSA agent. One is a top exec at a major business Outsourcing firm. There was only one really big hands. Like I said, if you have a passport, you know.

At the time of this review, AT & T has confirmed that it will carry the passport, although not with the price and release date. BlackBerry is selling an unlocked unit by US shop.blackberry.com for $ 599, which is reasonable for a high-end unlocked phone; iPhone, remember, start at $ 649. strive unlock model as AT & T and T-Mobile, and I tested it on AT & T said they expect the BlackBerry device comes in various US carriers for around $ 249 on contract.

Passport is unique: As a big, blocky rectangle 5.04 by 3.54 by 0.37 inches (HWD), it is almost the exact size and shape of a real passport. That makes room for a 4.5-inch square, 1440-by-1400 screen and a glorious 3.25-inch-wide QWERTY keyboard complete with Bold-style sculpting and frets. No dedicated number row; numbers and symbols appear in a virtual row above the main keyboard, which I found easy and uninterrupted use. The keys are a bit too clicky and stiff they take effort, but not too much. The keyboard, by the way, is also the "Enabled ugnay-;" When you stroke it up or down, it acts as a scroll wheel in the Web browser. In a honking 6.84 ounces, considerably more serious than even the iPhone 6 Plus great thing is true heft.

Squarish body and the edge The Passport will cause all kinds of problems in my pocket. It was not just slip in and out of the corner to catch the corner of the pocket, even in my jacket pocket. It is also, as far as I'm concerned rejoice, always a two-handed device. When it was held in my right hand, my thumb reaches only about halfway across the screen, and again it in my hand makes me feel like I'm about to drop it. Once, I did, with harmful results.

The LCD screen is sharp at 453ppi, and has some of the best outdoor visbility I've seen on any phone. The glass 'waterfalls' down side, which is good, but creates a huge price in durability; We're down to the level of the iPhone now, it seems. I totally shattered a screen with Passport single drop from the waist-level concrete. Get a case.

It is refreshing to see the BlackBerry pay attention to these things too many smartphone makers are not considered as a major priority of any more: call quality, outdoor visibility and battery life.

BlackBerry gave me an unlocked phone with an AT & T SIM, full Banded for AT & T and T-Mobile network. The phone supports LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/13/17/20, HSPA + 42 1/2/4/5/8 band and Quad-band GSM. That means it works brilliantly with AT & T, T-Mobile, and the overseas network, but we are waiting on a CDMA version for Sprint and Verizon. The phone supports HD Voice with T-Mobile, but Sprint, said the company has been "working on" VoLTE. The phone supports the latest Wi-Fi 802.11ac with speeds on par with other leading devices, including Bluetooth 4.0 LE and NFC.

Road warriors do many conference calls, and I'm madly in love with the quality of the call here. Yes, even without VoLTE or HD Voice. I thought the Samsung Galaxy S5 is the gold standard-not, it is.

The secret sauce here is smart application of the surrounding noise. The earpiece is more quiet indoors, outdoors and louder. By noise cancellation microphone ideal. I also used extensively in Passport wired headphones and a Bluetooth headset. The same is not generally good experience: sidetone with a wired headset is sharp enough I can whisper and have the confidence that I had heard, and I conducted an hourlong interview with a Plantronics Voyager headset Legend no clicks , pops, or dropouts. The speakerphone bottom ported is loud and clear.

3,450mAh battery is not removable, but I'm okay with that. Providing Passport to a trade show, I found it lasted a very long day with no problems. Subjecting it to our hardest test battery, continued to stream video over LTE, I got 7 hours, 48 minutes of stable stream. That is better than the other leading smartphones. The Passport can handle your day.

Subscribe to receive free email updates: